New Hire and Reserve Committee Description
Composition and Qualifications:
It is recommended that the committee be comprised of flight attendants holding reserve status.
Purpose and Scope:
This committee shall be responsible for monitoring all problems specific to flight attendants on reserve status.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with reserve contract Interpretation and facilitating reserves” interaction with crew scheduling.
- Educate reserve flight attendants as to contract provisions applicable to reserve flight attendant status.
- Track the reserve rotation and its effect on the seniority list.
- Be available during bid protest periods to answer flight attendants’ questions.
- Monitor all reserve concerns on a local basis.
- The Reserve Committee shall develop and implement a system to assist the integration of new hires into the membership of the union. This may include a “buddy system” pairing new hires with present flight attendants who can answer questions concerning the union and the reserve system and the contract in a satisfactory manner.
- The Reserve Committee Chair should coordinate with the LEC President when the opportunity to speak to new classes arises. There should be a portion of the union presentation devoted to the reserve section of the contract.
- Committee members are responsible for coordinating with the LEC chair, who shall report to the LEC officers and MEC chair. The LEC President shall coordinate with the LEC Scheduling Chair regarding any reserve scheduling issues, and the LEC Grievance Chair on any grievances which should be filed on behalf of reserves.
- The committee shall report to the LEC officers on any discussions with management.
- The committee will act as liaison between the membership and the LEC.
- The committee shall not make a policy which conflicts with the LEC or AFA-CWA policy.
- Recommendations for change shall be presented to the LEC officers in writing.
- Any AFA-CWA committee appointed by the LEC and empowered to conduct discussions with management on behalf of the flight attendants must first meet with the LEC officers prior to forming any agreement to gain the direction of the LEC.