Safety – The Air, Safety, Health and Security Committee
Advocates for flight attendants health, safety and training procedures. This is accomplished by meeting directly with Compass Management, the FAA and partner airlines.
- What does the Safety Committee Do?
- Why Would I Contact the Safety Committee?
- Links to Information and Guides
- Who Do I Contact for Assistance?
- AFA Committees are staffed by member flight attendants, if you have the desire to be a part of this committee or a different AFA Compass Committee, please let your LEC and MEC officers know.
- Safety Committee News
What Does the Safety Committee Do?
This committee works with management, government agencies and flight attendants on matters pertaining to cabin and flight attendant safety and health. The safety chair is the primary contact with management, the FAA and the Air Safety, Health and Security Department at the AFA-CWA International office.
Composition and Qualifications:
This committee may be composed of members with an interest in improving the health and safety of the flight attendant membership and the aircraft and passengers of the airline as well. Qualifications include willingness to attend the requisite ASHSC training(s), adherence to ASHSC policies, procedures and standards of ethical conduct, and maintenance of member-in-good-standing status.
Purpose and Scope:
This committee shall work with management on matters pertaining to cabin and flight attendant safety and health. The safety chair shall be the primary contact with management, the FAA and the Air Safety, Health and Security Department at the AFA-CWA International office. The safety chair should always leave a contact number or alternate safety contact to be reached by management or the LEC president/designee in the event of an accident or incident.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act in an advisory role to the LEC officers on safety matters.
- Study local air safety and health problems and prepare recommendations to be presented to the LEC officers for consideration.
- Review material, handle correspondence and keep the local members well informed of current safety developments through local council newsletters, reports at local council meetings or electronic communications.
- Attend management debriefings when safety related issues are discussed.
Why Would I Contact the Safety Committee?
The Safety Committee is your vehicle for expressing your concerns or to notify the rest of the Flight Attendant group about new issues concerning safety, health and security.
- Please also submit a FAIR when you contact the Safety Committee.
- When submitting complaints please be sure to include as much information as possible.
- Here are some examples: Name, Date, Flight Number, Description of Incident, Actions taken, Employee Number, Pictures, names of those involved.
- Some of these are only applicable depending on the incident.
Information and Guides
- ASHS Flyer
- OJI Checklist and Procedures
- Safety Reporting “How To”
- ASAP MOU
- On Board Medical Assistance Form
- In Flight Disturbance and Safety Report
- AFA International Safety Web Page
- Safety Committee Description
- Safety Committee Page
Contact the Safety Committee
- Quick Submit – Safety Assistance Request
- Committee Roster
- Safety Committee E Mail: email@example.com
Interested in Volunteering with AFA Compass? Please Contact