AFA Compass MEC – Master Executive Council
Quick Overview: The Master Executive Council is the chief governing body for the membership of the airline, and shall function as a coordinating Council and advocate for the membership of the airline. The Master Executive Council is charged with and responsible for the proper management of the affairs and business of the Local Councils of which it represents
Master Executive Council (MEC) Officers at Compass Airlines:
Michael Nelson email@example.com
MEC Vice President
Heather Harris Wiseman firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary ‘Terry’ Kiernan email@example.com
- What does the MEC Master Executive Council Do?
- Why Would I Contact the MEC Master Executive Council?
- Who Do I Contact for Assistance?
- AFA Committees are staffed by member flight attendants, if you have the desire to be a part of this committee or a different AFA Compass Committee, please let your LEC and MEC officers know.
- MEC News
What Does the Master Executive Council Do?
In a single council airline, the LEC and the MEC are the same. AFA-CWA carriers of more than one council have to learn a different level of functioning and authority. When a carrier grows to two or more councils, LEC Presidents form the MEC and elect an MEC President, Vice President and Secretary Treasurer. The ofﬁcer group grows from three to ﬁve or more. The voting members are the LEC Presidents and they, plus the MEC Ofﬁcers, comprise the MEC.
- Elect Master Executive Council Officers as provided in Article VIII.
- Establish and implement Master Executive Council policy deemed necessary to
conduct Council business and further the goals of the Union.
- Function as a coordinating Council for the membership on that airline. Its
activities shall be proportionate to and in accordance with the demands made
upon it by the Local Councils under its jurisdiction. All normal or routine local
Union business shall, however, be conducted by the Local Councils on the
- Make the final decision on any problem or problems of the members of that
airline, and accordingly
- Maintain an active internal membership development program
- Maintain participation of Local Council Officers, Negotiating Committee
members and System Board members in appropriate training programs.
- Establish a program designed to keep members informed of Union activities.
- Maintain adequate records on Union business conducted on the airline.
- Distribute an annual report to the membership on Union business conducted on the
airline which is to include Union expenditures. The actual B&E reports are available for viewing by members in good standing. The reports are internal, not to be published either in print or electronic form.
- Establish committees and appoint committee chairpersons as may be necessary for
conducting Master Executive Council business and enforcing policy of the Union
and Master Executive Council.
- Elect System Board members on that airline.
- Give its approval by a majority vote of the Master Executive Council of an airline,
with the advice of the International President, before a strike vote of the members
of such airline may be taken.
- Abide by the Constitution and Bylaws of the Union and decisions of the Board of
- Perform all other duties as stated in the Constitution and Bylaws.
- Nothing in this section shall authorize any Master Executive Council to initiate any
action that is inconsistent with the AFA Constitution and Bylaws or with the best interests of the Union or the general membership thereof.
Why Would I Contact my MEC Executive Council?
If you are a Compass Flight Attendant and have a question, concern or suggestions regarding AFA Compass, please contact your Council’s LEC officers and committee members. The MEC represents the entirety of the flight attendant group to the company and agencies. Your Local Executive Council President is a member of the AFA Compass MEC Master Executive Council and can make known your input to the other LEC(s) and the MEC.
Who Do I Contact for Assistance on my Master Executive Council?
- OFFICER DUTIES
- MEC Officer Duties
- WHAT IS AFA
- What is AFA – Quick Overview
- AFA Constitution and By Laws
- Circle of Councils
- Constitution and Bylaws 2015
- Organization Chart
- Communications Structure
- Deﬁnitions for Common Terms
- AFA You Tube Channel
- AFA International Web Site
- AFA International Latest News Feed
- Application Form for Committee Volunteers
- A Personal Letter for Organizing
- WHERE DO MY DUES GO
- Funding Our Priorities
- Spending Overview
- Usage Pie Chart
If you are interested in volunteering for an AFA committee position or would like further information regarding running for elected office please contact: